Thursday 24 October 2013

Is Self-Publishing Hard? by Laura Pauling #Indiestructible

Laura Pauling
Traditional publishing, small press, self publishing—so much to choose from yet … it has never been a better time for writers. Is self publishing hard? Yes. Is it competitive? Yes.

And with so many choices comes the responsibility of doing research and deciding what’s best for you. What are your goals? Your dreams?

I’m in the middle of debating whether to submit a workshop on self-publishing to a writer’s conference I attend. Having gone through the process, I understand what self-publishing involves. I have information and knowledge to share with writers who are experiencing the big how-should-I-publish debate.

I feel for them. I really do. Because I remember being there, scared and excited, wondering what was best for my career.

What I’ve noticed at conferences is that many writers just don’t do the research. We are blessed to live in an age where so many professionals in publishing share their wisdom … for free!

Yet, many writers don’t take advantage of this plethora of information.

I blog. I tweet. I read articles on all the different kinds of publishing. Why? So I understand what’s going on. What has changed. And how I might need to adjust.

Every writer considering any publishing decision should do the research. Take the time. It’s worth it.

When Jessica Bell approached her circle of writer friends about writing an article for Indiestructable, I wondered what I could offer that others couldn’t. Many of the authors writing articles for it are very successful. More successful than me.

What did I have to offer? What could I write about? What perspective could I offer, that might help or encourage someone how to self publish, or someone who already has, and is, looking for help?

I realized I could only offer my perspective. So I wrote Being Grateful for Small Milestones. What to do when sales don’t take off like you hoped. What to do when you see other book sales skyrocketing. How to move forward.

Really, the answer is pretty simple … you’ll find it in Indiestructable.

You’ll also finds lots of practical wisdom and different perspectives in this compilation of articles from self published authors.

And that is priceless. All in one place. Just for you.
________________________

Just $0.99 on Amazon
100% of proceeds will be donated to BUILDON.org, a movement which breaks the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.


Contributing authors:
________________________

About Laura Pauling:

Laura Pauling writes about spies, murder and mystery. Her young adult Circle of Spies Series will be completed this fall with the release of book 3: Twist of Fate. Her stand-alone time travel thriller, HEIST, released August 15th, 2013.
________________________

CLICK HERE to subscribe to my newsletter. Every subscriber will receive The Hum of Sin Against Skin for free, and be the first to know about new releases and special subscriber giveaways.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura & Jessica,

    Sometimes, I think I use research as a way of distracting myself from all the things I should be doing, however, it is an important part of being a writer. Can't get around it, I've never made a decision in my writing life without doing a ton of research.

    Indiestructible is definitely a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have little nuggets of wisdom to share.
    And there's no excuse - the knowledge is out there for writers who look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research is easy on the internet, but many do not inform themselves. A lot of new writers would rather ask others to come to them and freely reveal this info, without any effort on their part. It happens on blogpages and it happens in conferences. Yes there is a lot of info available, but weeding through that information could teach the new writer much.

    Perhaps it depends on how much drive/ambition one has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments, and this looks like quite a book! I'm going to pick up a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris